Star WreckIron SkyCommunityVideosStore

Post your subtitles.

Discussion about subtitling Star Wreck and our other videos.

Post your subtitles.

Postby Jarmo Puskala » Tue Oct 04, 2005 20:18

We would love to see Star Wreck translated to as many languages as possible. This is where we need your help. Many people have already expressed interest on making their own subtitle files for the movie.

If you have subtitled the movie, post the subs here and hopefully there are other speakers of your language to verify them. If they are of good quality we's like to add them to the download page for everyone to use.

Some advice:

First:
Read the annotated translation by Antti Hukkanen, it's available here: http://www-fi.starwreck.com/annotated_translation.pdf

It has more literal english translations as well as explanations about several things. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Second:
Do keep the projects organised. There's no mind in doing ten competing translations. If you're working on a translation post a note here so others will know of it. It would help if you tell something about yourself and why you're qualified translator, so that people can assess if they should try it themselves or if you would need their help.

If there is a lot of interest in subbing the movie I'll add a new forum to discuss the matters.

Thank you.
Jarmo Puskala
Writer
Writer

Postby Reaver.man » Tue Oct 04, 2005 20:42

Czech Translation
v 1.2
http://reaver.chytrak.net/itp-subs-cz.zip

Translated by me (I've been learning english for nearly 13 years now) using the annotated translation, corrections by Incik and d3u5, guys who really know Czech language. Added some minor jokes that only Czech would understand. All and all, I'm proud of my work :D
Star Wreck Czech translation + promotion
Reaver.man
Sturmmann
Sturmmann

Postby Jukka Aho » Tue Oct 04, 2005 22:22

Reaver.man wrote:Czech Translation
v 1.2

Translated by me (I've been learning english for nearly 13 years now) using the annotated translation, corrections by Incik and d3u5, guys who really know Czech language. Added some minor jokes that only Czech would understand. All and all, I'm proud of my work :D

Can't say I would understand a great deal of Czech, but I'm curious about this:

00:35:25,240 --> 00:35:28,240
..:: I have a bad feeling about this ::..
znark
Jukka Aho
Rottenführer
Rottenführer

Postby nocadlee » Tue Oct 04, 2005 23:20

Hungarian Translation:

http://feliratok.tx.hu/index.php?fnev=s ... tatus=send

:D :D :D

It was sooo much fun translating it... :D
nocadlee
Raumanwärter
Raumanwärter

Postby jengelh » Wed Oct 05, 2005 00:10

German translation

I just saw that you posted the PDF and so, have yet to do another pass on the german SRT I have so far :-)
jengelh
Sturmmann
Sturmmann

Postby ultrix » Wed Oct 05, 2005 01:31

BTW, could you upload the official Swedish subs to the website?
ultrix - a wreckie since 2002
ultrix
Rottenführer
Rottenführer

Postby Jarmo Puskala » Wed Oct 05, 2005 03:35

I just realized there's one explanation missing from the annotated translation, one I doubt nobody else has ever thought of but me...

[SPOILERS]

In the first Baabel scene there are the lines:
-Where did that ship come from?
-Dunno. But it sure is butt-ugly

Originally these were meant to play a bit on the B5's foreshadowing. In Finnish Garybrandy and Sherrypie underline their words with seemingly innocents slight expletives finns use a lot in sentences like those. But that's not all! The words also hint at Pirk being a mythical evil.

-Mistä pirusta tuo alus tuli?
-En tiedä, mutta helvetin ruma se ainakin on.

A more accurate translation would be:

-Where the devil did that ship come from?
-Dunno, but it's ugly as hell.

So if your language makes it possible you might try and load some more menace into these lines than "butt-ugly" has.
Jarmo Puskala
Writer
Writer

Postby Reaver.man » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:54

Jukka Aho wrote:
Reaver.man wrote:Czech Translation
v 1.2

Can't say I would understand a great deal of Czech, but I'm curious about this:

00:35:25,240 --> 00:35:28,240
..:: I have a bad feeling about this ::..

I have a bad feeling about this ... we decided to leave this untranslated as everyone knows this line, thanks to a certain czech fan-made movie ;) it's a long story, but believe me, this SW joke will be much more appreciated this way.
Star Wreck Czech translation + promotion
Reaver.man
Sturmmann
Sturmmann

Postby ZatHraS » Wed Oct 05, 2005 13:05

Reaver.man wrote:I have a bad feeling about this ... we decided to leave this untranslated as everyone knows this line, thanks to a certain czech fan-made movie ;) it's a long story, but believe me, this SW joke will be much more appreciated this way.

Sounds good, mate... in fact the joke is more of an in-joke in Finnish as well, since the Finnish line is a LITERAL translation from "I have a bad feeling about this", which sounds very unnatural, thus making it stand out more:

He said "Minulla on paha tunne tästä" instead of for example "Aavistelen pahaa".

This wordplay was lost in the English translation, but of course everyone knows the cultural reference anyway.
ZatHraS
Rottenführer
Rottenführer

Postby Lance R. Casey » Wed Oct 05, 2005 17:27

Ok, let's do this properly:

Klingon translation

I have studied, been exposed to and employed the Klingon language for years, and I am now proficient enough to carry on not-too-complex conversations without the use of a (The) dictionary -- even orally, in the few instances that such opportunities have presented themselves.

Due to a relatively small vocabulary, rigid grammatical and syntactical rules, and a general distinctiveness from anything inherently Terran, rendering longer texts -- and especially intricate dialogue -- in Klingon is not at all easy. Straightforward translations are seldom possible, so one often has to come up with alternative ways of saying something, and which will preferably also fit into the mythological context of the language (such as the honor system, warrior mentality, etc.). It is therefore a huge intellectual challenge, which I thoroughly enjoy.

As a consequence, though, there should be a couple of weeks before I will have a finished product. I'm doing this by myself, but I have a few fellow Klingonists with whom I speak daily, and I run all questionable cases by them.

Due to the abovementioned issues, some liberties will be taken with the source material, and certain puns and jokes may prove to be beyond the scope of the task (whereas others may fit perfectly). Therefore, I will produce an annotated translation of my own, containing back translations of all Klingon phrases together with explanations, where required, of why a particular choice was made.

Now, I must readdress a request I made in another thread, but which has not been answered: is there a list somewhere with all names and terms analyzed, or could one be produced? The downloadable .pdf unfortunately contains almost no such explanations, and quite frankly I can't understand why.

Let me give a few examples (Finnish insights courtesy of one of the aforementioned Klingonists, who is a native):
  • Potkustart Kickstart
    Is this a valid Finnish word (i.e. why not "Potkustartti")? Does it refer to the old Amiga bootloader, to motorcycles, or both? Why is the ship named thus in the first place? I have my theories, but I don't know.
  • Ivanovitsa Ivanovitsa
    The ending "vitsa" may or may not refer to a Finnish word meaning something like "twig of a tree used for spanking", or the act thereof -- so, does it? And, if so, why?
  • kimmotinlaatat deflector plates
    The Swedish subs on the DVD has "studsplattor", which I would translate as "bounce-boards", which in turn has a decidedly more silly ring to it in this context than the given English version has. The original word would come out as something like "ricocheting plates", which gives a better idea of what it's really about.

...etc., etc. I hope this clarifies why I don't just consider such a list useful, but actually necessary. "Twinkler" was explored in detail in another thread a year or two ago, and I believe I have a good grasp of "twist", but there are many more.

If I seem meticulous and serious, it's because I am in fact meticulous and serious -- I don't want to cut any corners here. :D

// Lance R. Casey
Lance R. Casey
Sturmmann
Sturmmann

Postby cyberfrag » Thu Oct 06, 2005 16:01

jengelh wrote:German translation

I just saw that you posted the PDF and so, have yet to do another pass on the german SRT I have so far :-)

Actually I already have a german translation available. Finished yesterday.
It is available from http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~fischean/ ... les_de.srt

Sorry not to inform anyone, but I didn't read the forum before.

Quality certainly isn't perfect, but then again, what is? :)
Translation was done from english subtitles originally and then another go on it, with the annotated .pdf.

As for my expertise: I am a german (bavarian) student of CS. My english knowledge originates from school ("Leistungskurs Englisch" for those who know) and lots of reading/listening to english media. I don't speak finnish, though, so anyone capable of speaking both finnish and german might want to go through the subs, looking for mistakes.

For corrections/suggestions I can be contacted either via forum-PM or via mail: cyberfrag at gmx dot net

Thanks a lot and great movie btw.

CU
Cyberfrag
cyberfrag
Raumanwärter
Raumanwärter

Postby Joona » Thu Oct 06, 2005 16:25

Just read the annotated translation PDF. Mind you, made me laugh almost as hard as the movie itself. This stuff you've cooked up is simply priceless :lol:

A few additional things came into mind.

Up to the very recent years it has been standard practice that all actors in Finnish movies speak "written" finnish, although practically nobody does this IRL and speaks "spoken" Finnish instead (Including Mrs. President!). And I don't mean slang here.

Example:

Minun nimeni on Joona vainio ja olen Metsälehden AD. Lisäksi kirjoitan sivutyönä Pelit-lehteen.

vs.

Mun nimi on Joona Vainio ja mä oon Metsälehen AD. Sen lisäks mä kirjotan sivutyönä Pelit-lehteen.

This "spoken" language is universal and not dependent on dialects, although the spoken language varies in pronouncations and nuances according to the dialect. I won't bother you translating the above to Helsinki slang (which I do often use to the dismay of those who live beyond the "wolf border"). :wink:

The point is, some guys in Wreck speak this universal formal Finnish. Info, naturally, speaks as formally as it gets. Also Sherrypie uses very formal language and so do Ivanovitsa, Helmswoman, Dwarf (unless very excited / agitated), Festerbester and most of the crew on both sides.

However, Pirk speaks the casual informal Finnish with a very thick (and very funny - no offense, my roots come from Manse as well) Tampere (Tavastland) accent. Garybrandy speaks normal informal Finnish with no accent to speak of.

Rest of the details were in the annotations. I just thought that if your particular language has this kind of difference between formal and informal language, it would be nice if you could get it into the translation. Not to mention accents, but they're always pretty hard to incorporate into writing.

Boy, I sure don't envy the guy who translated Tuntematon Sotilas (The Unknown Soldier) to any other language.

Joona

EDIT: And oh, Fukov's accent is hard to place. It's somewhere between a snotty, nasally whining Helsinki teenager and Tampere.
Joona
Rottenführer
Rottenführer

Postby Joona » Thu Oct 06, 2005 16:48

I might also add that Pirk's "Ei tunnu missää, löylyä lissää" is a rather common Finnish expression meaning literally "I can't feel anything, pour some more water on the sauna stove." The expression comes from the habit of Finns often competing who has most guts to stay in a hellishly hot sauna until they run screaming out (or get severe burns or even faint and die because of their stubborness in this macho bullshit competition).

Mind you. we Finns heat the sauna a LOT hotter than you might have been used to.

Rather less literally it means just what the English subtitles said. But especially thanks to Samuli's utterly deranged performance on that line it was one of the things that made me laugh most in the movie. :D

Joona
Joona
Rottenführer
Rottenführer

Postby Jarmo Puskala » Thu Oct 06, 2005 18:05

Oops, almost forgot to reply to this. I really enjoyd reading the annotated klingon translation of the trailer, added a whole new level to the joke seeing it Klingonized. I'll try and answer some of the names, though Samuli is the only one who knows the absolute truth.

Lance R. Casey wrote:Let me give a few examples (Finnish insights courtesy of one of the aforementioned Klingonists, who is a native):
  • Potkustart Kickstart
    Is this a valid Finnish word (i.e. why not "Potkustartti")? Does it refer to the old Amiga bootloader, to motorcycles, or both? Why is the ship named thus in the first place? I have my theories, but I don't know.

I think Samuli mentioned he read the name somewhere and thought it funny back in 1992. One could decide to make a joke about the bootloader. The *start vs. *Sttartti isn't really important.

• Ivanovitsa Ivanovitsa
    The ending "vitsa" may or may not refer to a Finnish word meaning something like "twig of a tree used for spanking", or the act thereof -- so, does it? And, if so, why?

• Yes, that's exactly where it comes from. But IIRC Ivanovitsa is a valid russian name for a woman. It is the feminine for of Ivanovits, which is a real name.

• kimmotinlaatat deflector plates
    The Swedish subs on the DVD has "studsplattor", which I would translate as "bounce-boards", which in turn has a decidedly more silly ring to it in this context than the given English version has. The original word would come out as something like "ricocheting plates", which gives a better idea of what it's really about.

• I think the finnish "kimmotinlaatat" is thematically closer to "bounce plates", even though the correct translation is "ricocheting plates". It sounds rather silly in finnish and is meant to convey theimage of something that bounces stuff off.

Now, what other difficult names are there?
    Karigrandi for example is explained in the Wikipedia
    Jarmo Puskala
    Writer
    Writer

Postby ldfleo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 18:21

Spanish subs??

Gracias!!
    ldfleo
    Raumanwärter
    Raumanwärter

Next

Return to Subtitles