Star WreckIron SkyCommunityVideosStore

Star Wreck in IRC

Speak your mind of all things under the sun.

Star Wreck in IRC

Postby Esko Suomi » Sat Nov 01, 2003 19:24

DISCLAIMER:
I must appologize that it took so long to create this thread. This text is also LONG!, sorry about that. It also took about 45 minutes to write this. I also would like to appologize that this text isn't very short and to the point.

In case you didn't know, Star Wreck also has an IRC channel in IRCnet and as you propably already figured it out, channel's name is #starwreck. So, if you are used to IRC all the time (like the undersigned) instead of doing anything useful, come there and have a chat with us.

Channel rules are simple.

1) Don't spam/advertise/request for warez (you can talk about it though on a basic level, like "I think that warez is a good thing for poor dumbwits.")

2) Speak either English or Finnish. That's because we want to keep things clear for everyone around.

3) Do not ask for ops/voice. Only thing we are willing to give you after that is +kb (kickban).

4) Be nice and everyone will have fun.

Addentum rules are simple in practise but the theory behind the rule usually isn't.

1) Using UTF-8/unicode isn't considered approvable at the moment. This is because of the garble it causes for about 90% of the users to see. This may change when/if a new version of the mainstream IRC program, mIRC, ever gets an OFFICIAL patch which will support UTF-8/unicode. Notice that this issue isn't debatable.

UPDATE! Since 18.2.2006 mIRC started supporting UTF-8 but the UTF-8 output (=what you write) is not on by default and has to be enabled from a rather tricky place (irc->messages, options "Multibyte editbox") so we can't really say UTF-8 has reached the majority of users thus UTF-8/unicode is still unapprovable.

Of course, everyone hasn't been acting like they should've and currently there are 4 permanent bans on the channel:

All users from ircnet.info are banned.
Avaruus2k has been banned.
All Polish have been banned - we are sorry for all the Polish fans for this.
libero.it has been banned.

Also do note that because we are from Finland, we possibly live in a different timezone than you. Our timezone is GMT+2 at winter and GMT+3 at summer.

In case you join at the time when no one seems to be there, just stick around and someone will eventually say something...unless it's 4 AM :)

The fames are using following nicks:
Pirk is Samuli Torssonen himself
LeonBlank is Timo Vuorensola
yo-zen is Atte Joutsen (he's not around much, but still...)
Rigi is Jarmo Puskala
I'm Para.

If you have anything to ask, just join #starwreck and shoot. In case this text is full of errors and you can't understand it etc., just /msg me and I'll do something to it.

What is IRC?

IRC is an acronym (well duh) and it means "Internet Relay Chat". In short, you need to download a IRC client program and connect to a IRC network server and join a channel to chat with others.

The original idea of IRC was to enable easy chatting between people in different universities and because someone noticed that it's good for all the verbal chit-chat between people, it's use spreaded like a plague among unfortunate people. In this point I might add that like most super-geeky stuff, IRC was created by a Finn named Jarkko Oikarinen in 1988.

EDIT: Unlike the popular Bash.org quote claims, Jarkko did never actually say the quote. See his post from the second page:

jto wrote:I would like to note that the quote referred to in the howto is a fake.

In this point I might add that like most super-geeky stuff, IRC was created by a Finn named Jarkko Oikarinen in 1988. He never meant IRC to be used in it's present form and he has also expressed that in public -> http://www.bash.org/?58108

I have not stated that, and I also did not use my first name as a nickname on IRC.

Jarkko Oikarinen

Who cares? Tell me allready how I can join you ppl and chat with you!

OK, OK.. First you need an IRC client. The most popular for Windows is mIRC, irssi for Linux and Ircle for Macintosh computers. Because with a 95% propability you are a Windows user, here's a quick how-to on the usage of mIRC:

1) Download and install mIRC. You can always get the latest version from http://www.mirc.com

2) After installation, start mIRC from either the folder where you installed it (c:\mIRC\ for example) by double clicking mirc.exe OR from Start -> Programs -> mIRC -> mIRC. Now you are seeing the main window of mIRC and a little popup that has some guys face in it. Just click somewhere and that will go away.

3) Now "mIRC Options" should open automagically. There are several important fields you must fill in order to get chatting.

The fields are quite self-explainatory: To "Full name" write your name (or if you don't want to enter your real name, just put something like "John Doe"). Email address is of course your email address.

"Nickname" field is the most important one. This is the place where you write the nick you want to use in IRC. Everyone has one and everyone is identified by other people based on it, so remember to choose your nick wisely. To "Alternative" field you must type either a variation of your nick or some other nick in case the first one is used - that's of course because IRCnet has about 125 000 users (and the biggest IRC network Quakenet has about 200 000 users) and it's possible that your nick is already taken. So if your nick is taken, the "Alternative" nick is used.

4) Now that the basic information is set, we need to add a server to connect to. Click Connect-Servers from the left.

By default mIRC comes with literally thousands of servers and it may be hard to find the right one if you don't know what you want. In "IRC network" drop down list there should be "IRCnet" somewhere and in case there is, select it and then from "IRC server" drop down list select the server that is located near you - for example if you live in New York, there should be server that has "NY" in it's name. If you found a suitable server, go to 5. In other case, read forward.

BUT, if you can't find a server that would let you in (numerous of reasons, I won't get to them right now) you may want to try Stealth network IRCnet server. Stealth gives you a bit restricted connection to IRCnet, but in normal chatting you don't have to worry about it. I'm now going to assume that there is no Stealth servers in mIRC by default so that I can tell you how to add an server:

In the Connect-Servers, click "Add". In Description, write "Stealth IRCnet server" or something like that - it's not a mandatory field - and to "IRC Server" write "irc.stealth.net" without brackets. "Port(s)" should be something between 6660-6670. Then press "Add".

5) Press the scary button that says "Connect to server".
5a) Duck and cover.

6) If you survived, you should now see yet another popup window. There's a small checkbox in the lower left corner of it, click it and the popup window won't show up again.

7) So, now you're in mIRC's main window. At the moment it should be labeled as "ircserversURL.org Yournick". To this window, write "/j #starwreck" (the name of the channel, j of course means "join") and after a few seconds of trembling silence, #starwreck window opens and you are in the channel ready to chat 'till the time end!

For more reading, go and read following FAQ's:
http://www.quakenet.org/faq/faq.php?c=176
http://www.quakenet.org/faq/faq.php?c=4

If you have anything to ask about IRC in general and you've managed to join #starwreck, just send me a private message (double click my nick (Para) in the box at the right edge of screen) and ask. I'll answer as soon as I can.

--

Changes to this doc:
[2.1.2006] "Addentum rule" added.
[6.2.2006] More names of fames, less typos.[/u]
[18.2.2006] mIRC 6.17 out -> more UTF-8/unicode babble + fixed a really embarrasing typo
[18.2.2006 part 2]once again about the fracking UTF-8/unicode...
Last edited by Esko Suomi on Sun Feb 19, 2006 00:38, edited 8 times in total.
Moderating for the good of everyone since 2002, retired in the summer of 2008
Esko Suomi

Postby mumppis » Sat Nov 01, 2003 19:31

fuck the rules >)
möhmöh
mumppis
Sturmmann
Sturmmann

Re: Star Wreck in IRC

Postby ultrix » Sat Nov 01, 2003 20:06

Esko Suomi wrote:6) If you survived, you should now see yet another popup window. There's a small checkbox in the lower left corner of it, click it and the popup window won't show up again.

You mean the 'Channels folder'? I would assist a newbie to type '#starwreck' to the channels folder editbox and then hit 'RETURN' (Enter).

I've added my favourite channels to auto-join in Channels folder by 'Add', then the channel's name like #starwreck and to networks drop-down menu: first click Add, then select IRCnet and click OK and tick the 'Join on connect'.

Tho' I've disabled the 'Pop up favourites on connect' checkbox as you said earlier.
ultrix - a wreckie since 2002
ultrix
Rottenführer
Rottenführer

Postby k-vuohi » Sat Nov 01, 2003 20:07

I recall something about IRCnet requiring a visible IP.
I tried a few things:
A basic EU, DE-server said "Unauthorized access"
The Helsinki-server K-lined (banned) me (pelle).
And there are some other servers that I just cannot connect to.

Any solutions to this?
k-vuohi
Rottenführer
Rottenführer

Postby Esko Suomi » Sat Nov 01, 2003 20:15

irc.stealth.net and irc.song.fi should allow most of people in.
Esko Suomi

Postby scara » Sat Nov 01, 2003 20:31

irc.skynet.be :D
scara
Sturmmann
Sturmmann

Postby ultrix » Sat Nov 01, 2003 22:04

Esko Suomi wrote:irc.stealth.net and irc.song.fi should allow most of people in.

scara wrote:irc.skynet.be

Stealth: US Ircnet server, available for everyone around the globe, but non-US users get restricted mode that permits chatting but prevents nick changes etc. mode changes.
Song: Finnish Ircnet server, haven't tried it myself but it should allow everyone with *.fi address in.
Skynet: Most probably allows only *.be and the terminator T-1000 model ;)
ultrix
Rottenführer
Rottenführer

Postby Lasba » Sun Nov 02, 2003 14:12

And if you have an internet connection from Elisa, your server is then irc.kolumbus.fi

More Finnish servers: http://koti.mbnet.fi/b10m/killerpop/irc3.shtml
Lasba
Sturmmann
Sturmmann

Postby jengelh » Mon Nov 03, 2003 16:51

Heh I did not know the address of IRCnet so I just tried irc.ircnet.net and, it worked.
jengelh
Sturmmann
Sturmmann

Postby Ronald » Wed Nov 05, 2003 15:26

o k.... :roll:
perkele!! :P
Ronald
Sturmmann
Sturmmann

Location: Alpha Quadrant, sector 001, Earth, Europe, Holland, Duiven

Gee

Postby Erik Lydén » Tue Nov 11, 2003 14:47

Holy chipmunks..

You should definitely apply to www.tldp.org as admin of STARWRECK-IRC-HOWTO
-eki
Erik Lydén
Sturmmann
Sturmmann

Re: Gee

Postby Esko Suomi » Tue Nov 11, 2003 19:33

Erik Lydén wrote:Holy chipmunks..

You should definitely apply to www.tldp.org as admin of STARWRECK-IRC-HOWTO

Whaa?

Will they give me a free t-shirt when I join?
Esko Suomi

Postby Rihkama » Fri Nov 14, 2003 16:47

I think Esko missed following things:

1) Do not flood (bots will autokick you if you flood, they also can ban you if you continue to flood).
2) Do not use colors (again, bots will autokick you)
3) Do not rejoin channel automatically (autorejoin) after you have been kicked. Bots will ban you for couple of minutes if you do.

Most IRCNet servers can be found from http://www.ircnet.com/index.php?p=5. US users should use irc.stealth.net or irc1.us.ircnet.net .
Rihkama
Rottenführer
Rottenführer

Postby Deus » Sat Dec 20, 2003 22:59

Eh, the first time I used mIRC was a horrible experience. It looked very complicated. So what did I do? Just typed "/connect irc.cs.hut.fi" or something and hit enter. Then "/join #channelname" and voilá. I find it a dozen times easier to just type all the commands than play around with gazillion windows and tick-a-boxes.
Deus
Rottenführer
Rottenführer

Postby ultrix » Sun Dec 21, 2003 01:49

Isn't it "/server server.network.net" instead of /connect?
ultrix
Rottenführer
Rottenführer

Next

Return to General Discussions